Indian Embassy opened in Kathmandu in December, 1947. Shri Surjit Singh Majithia was the first Ambassador of India to Nepal from 1947 to 1949. Till date there have been 23 Ambassadors. Shri Manjeev Singh Puri is the 24th Ambassador to Nepal.
Till 1954, the present President’s Residence (Shital Niwas) was the Embassy of India. It was in 1954 that the Embassy of India was shifted to its present location at Lainchor. At the moment, the entire Embassy offices are located within the same premise.