April 13, 2016
India Development Foundation for Overseas Indians (IDF-OI)
1. Government of India has set up the India Development Foundation for Overseas Indians (IDF-OI), a not-for-profit Trust, chaired by Hon’ble External Affairs Minister. The trust aims to facilitate participation of NRIs/PIOs in social and development programs in India, including GoI’s flagship initiatives such as Swachh Bharat and Namami Gange, by creating a platform and institutional mechanisms to channelize contributions from them in a transparent and accountable manner.
2. The IDF-OI has gathered a pool of nearly 100 social and development projects pertaining to Swachh Bharat, sanitation, education, women’s empowerment and sustainable livelihood in consultation with State governments. The detailed information about these projects are hosted on foundation’s website www.idfoi.org, as well as its Facebook page and a Twitter handle.
3. Salient features of the IDF-OI mechanisms are as follows –
(a) IDF-OI has received exemption from MHA under the Foreign Contribution Regulation Act (FCRA 2010) owing to which it has necessary permissions to receive contributions in foreign currency.
(b) IDF-OI does not charge/deduct any administrative charges from the contributions it receives from NRIs/PIOs. Except the bank transaction charges, the entire amount received from NRIs/PIOs is transferred to the project implementing agency.
(c) To enable oversight of implementation of programs funded by overseas Indian donors, an agreement will be signed between IDF-OI and project implementing agency.
(d) Implementing agency for the programme will send regular feedback reports, photos and statement of utilization of funds to the donor. These will also be postedon IDF-OI’s website
(e) At the site of project funded by the NRI/PIO donors will get an acknowledgement with a signage which states that “The project has been funded by Shri......... through IDF-OI”.
4. Those NRIs/PIOs, who are interested in contributing towards the activities of IDF-OI, may please note that IDF-OI is setting up a Payment Gateway through its website, which would enable NRIs and PIOs to contribute even small amounts ranging from a few dollars using their credit cards or debit cards online to projects of their choice offered by IDF-OI.
5. Embassy of India, Kathmandu would like to request NRIs/PIOs, living in Nepal, to kindly go through the activities of the foundation, and bless it with their kind support and assistance.